Covid-19: Number of Nigerian Army Generals who have tested positive for Coronavirus rises to 26 after 417 tests


By Mukwuzi Joseph

The number of Nigerian Army Generals who have tested positive for Coronavirus has risen to 26. 

Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sagir Musa said a total of 417 personnel have undergone Coronavirus tests after Major General Olu Irefin, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 6 Division died from complications arising from the disease. 

Musa said as at Sunday December 13, 26 Army Generals have tested positive for Coronavirus. He however did not disclose the ranks of the infected persons.

The Army Spokesperson further revealed that all those who attended the 2020 Chief of Army Staff Conference in Abuja where they had contact with Irefin, are in self-isolation irrespective of their results.

COVID-19 treatment drugs recommended by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has been issued to those that tested positive, and all officers and soldiers working at the Army Headquarters are being tested as COVID-19 protocols are also strictly enforced across all units and formations of the force.

The entire Army Headquarters complex was thoroughly fumigated by health officials on Saturday last week.

The statement read; 

The Chief of Army Staff’s Annual Conference (COAS) 2020, started on 7 December 2020 with the virtual commissioning of the Nigerian Army Cyber Warfare Command’s Headquarters at Giri by the President, Commander-in-Chief.

Among the attendees was Malor General JO Irefin, the late General Officer Commanding 6 Division, based in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Same day, at about 9pm, having complained of fever, headache and mild cough, he was taken to Defence Medical Centre, Abuja.

His medical history revealed that he was treated for malaria with parenteral artemether a week ago at 6 Division Medical Services and Hospital in Port Harcourt Barracks.

On Wednesday 8 December 2020, his sample for COVID 19 was taken and he was directed to self-isolate pending the outcome of the test.

On the same day, the result of his COVID 19 test was confirmed positive and was taken to Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital, Abuja for further management.

Sadly, he passed on at about 0510 hours on Thursday 10th of December 2020. The cause of his death was reported as respiratory failure secondary to the complications of COVID 19 infection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *