Napoli on Tuesday won their appeal after being handed a 3-0 defeat and a one-point deduction for failing to turn up to play Juventus because of coronavirus cases.
Napoli took their case to the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), the highest level of sporting justice in Italy, after having appeals rejected by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Serie A.
CONI said in a statement they “accepted the appeal presented by Napoli and annulled without postponement the decision of the Sports Court of Appeal at the FIGC … including the penalty of losing the match and the deduction of one point.”
The October 4 fixture had been abandoned rather than called off when Napoli did not travel to Turin.
“We’re happy,” Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said on Twitter of the decision.
“We live in a country where those who respect the laws cannot be convicted. And Napoli always follows the rules.”
The restoration of a point moves Napoli up to third in the standings ahead of Juventus, who have lost three points, on goal difference.
The decision to annul the result means both clubs have a game in hand on the teams above them. They are both seven points behind leaders AC Milan.
Italian media report that the match at Juve’s Allianz Stadium will be rescheduled for January 13.