Nnamdi Kanu Objects To Fresh 15 count Charges brought against him as court Adjourns to January 19th(video)

44

The trial of the leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has been adjourned till January 19 after he objected to the fresh charges brought against him by the Federal Government.

The Federal Government had filed fresh terrorism charges against the detained leader of the proscribed IPOB leader before the Federal High Court on Monday, January 17. As a result, the initial seven counts bordering on treasonable felony and terrorism, against him, increased to 15.

However, at his trial which was held at the Federal High Court Abuja this morning, Kanu objected to the fresh charges.

Earlier in the day, one of the Lead counsels for the IPOB Leader, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, announced that Human Rights Lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), will now lead the delegation of lawyers representing Kanu.

Addressing journalists after the proceedings Ozekhome said: “I have consulted with my client with regards to the 15-count charge. Some of the statements made by him that were not clear, which I pointed out to the court, the prosecution has been able to give me a copy that is more legible. With that, we will take the next step. No one is running from a plea being taken. But the point we made today, which the court appreciated, is that you can’t take plea to counts that have not been given to you”.

“We were served some minutes to 10:00 am yesterday – a 15-count amended charge for a case coming up today, whereas, the last date of adjournment was 2nd of December so, they had well-over one month to do that but they didn’t.

“I believe that was intended to frustrate today’s proceedings. In any event, that was the 6th time they are amending the charge. Each time they amend, I file a preliminary objection, they go back to the drawing board to re-amend”. He said




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *